[racket] Macros baffle me

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sun May 4 19:53:26 EDT 2014

I tried skimming these blog posts.

They seem like they might be useful as one data point of pedagogic
feedback for Racket tutorial/book writers.  I suppose that tutorial/book
writers might already have many such data points from teaching.

What I saw in a quick skim of the blog posts seemed to me like reading
them would be counterproductive for a reader who was trying to learn
Racket themself.  (I had a painful backseat driver impulse, but I could
not grab the wheel or slam the brakes, and my screams could not be
heard.  Maybe a horror movie audience dramatic irony effect, like when
the characters say, "Uh oh, something odd is going on; let's split up!",
and you see two of them pair off together to do something immoral in the
genre, but the cheese-grater killer is waiting for them behind the door.)

Maybe someone should invite the blog writer to suspend the public lab
notebook, use the email list for questions, and then do a good blog post
("A Haskelletorian Perspective on Racket") once they have a better
understanding?

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.