[racket] Formal Presentation and initial doubts.

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Mar 22 04:18:03 EDT 2014

Welcome to Racket, Alejandro.

The different Racket macro tools are harder to learn than CL's.  But
once you invest in learning the Racket ones, in my experience, they feel
much more sophisticated than CL's.  Macros are easily one of Racket's
biggest strengths over other languages.

There are a few different ways to define macros in Racket.  The most
sophisticated is "syntax-parse", but the documentation is imposing. If
you want to start with something sophisticated, but "syntax-parse" is
just a little too much, try a "syntax-case" tutorial first.

I recommend ignoring "define-syntax-rule" and "syntax-rules".  Those
forms are fine for many simple things, but you probably will soon want
to do things that those forms make hard to do.  So why not just start
with "syntax-parse" or "syntax-rules", and then you can learn their
features smoothly and incrementally?

One tip for writing macros: make your transformer pattern variables be
all-uppercase.  This convention makes reading and writing macros much
easier for humans, and also less confusing to learn (because people
seeing examples are less confused over what is a pattern variable and
what is a normal Racket variable).

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.