[racket] Exact Infinity?

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 4 15:07:23 EST 2014

This is a good point. Do you need the first countable ordinal ω
("omega"), or an object introduced by a compactification of a
topological space? My proposal was for adding the latter.

They're different kinds of infinities, with different properties. For
example, there's no -ω. (Well, unless you define it. It might represent
something weird like the length of infinite "anti"-lists. Whatever those
might be.)

When you write "size," do you mean length or cardinality? If you mean
length, just having +inf or ω may not be enough: the length of two
infinite lists appended together is ω + ω, a strictly larger infinity.
If you're only concerned with the cardinality of all the elements as a
set, though, just having +inf or ω would work out: the number of
elements of two infinite lists appended together is just ω.

Or if you never append these infinite things whose size you're keeping
track of, or always interleave them to combine them, just +inf or ω
would be fine as well.

Neil ⊥