[racket] Pass by value/name/reference

From: Jon Zeppieri (zeppieri at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 20 21:25:52 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> The phrase "call-by-value is a reduction strategy" has no meaning per se but is a left over from the time when people hadn't figured out the above (pre 1070).

I apologize for spreading this nonsense. Is it the phrase "reduction
strategy" that's the problem? In the paper you cited, you refer to
"evaluation strategies" and "binding strategies" and list
call-by-value (eager) and call-by-name (delayed) as examples of the
former. Is the problem with "reduction strategy" that it properly
refers to rules for reducing redexes in a lambda calculus (and not
parameter-passing in a programming language)? Or is it just nonsense
tout court?

Posted on the users mailing list.