[racket] Does Racket GUI scale?

From: Dmitry Pavlov (dpavlov at ipa.nw.ru)
Date: Fri Jul 11 17:56:59 EDT 2014

Greg,

You are right, managing the scrolling bars manually and
creating an in-place cell editor by demand seems
the only way under given circumstances.

I agree that other platforms have the same limitations
with GUI performance as Racket has. However, other platforms
may have a spreadsheet control included :)
No complaints, though, I will use Racket for this.

Regards,

Dmitry

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 1:55 AM, Greg Hendershott
<greghendershott at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another alternative might be to make a visible grid of cells (using
>> table-panel, for example) and rather than scrolling the canvas they are on,
>> use the scroll bars to change what data is displayed in those cells. That
>> is, have the visible grid of cells be a window into the (potential much
>> larger) grid of cell contents.
>
> That's a good idea, too. In that case I think you *might* want to make
> the table-panel be the full *potential* size of the window (i.e the
> desktop size). That way, when the user resizes the window
> interactively (e.g. dragging the window border) it will smoothly
> expose/hide the already-existing parts, like say Excel would. (I'm
> assuming recreating the table-panel on each tiny size change message
> would not be smooth, and, that having it be jerky would be
> undesirable. Or that having "blank" parts until the resize completes,
> would be undesirable.)
>
> Of course this might not work well if someone's desktop is enormous
> (multi monitor). And/or if its size changes dynamically (change res in
> OS display properties).  In which case you might decide to manage the
> client area "from scratch", after all.  It depends on how smooth and
> "professional" you want the GUI to be.
>
> In any case, the main point I intended to make is: These GUI design
> decisions are (I think) basically the same in C or Racket. In other
> words using many window controls would be OK (or bad) equally whether
> it's C or Racket or whatever. So Dmitry I wouldn't let that particular
> issue discourage you from using Racket for a GUI project.

Posted on the users mailing list.