[racket] meta-languages and going back to the "normal" reader

From: Alexander D. Knauth (alexander at knauth.org)
Date: Thu Jul 10 11:30:18 EDT 2014

On Jul 10, 2014, at 6:40 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> The readtable strategy works when <language> itself uses a
> readtable-based reader. The idea is that you install a mapping for `#λ`
> while leaving all the other mappings in place. If <language> uses a
> readtable-based reader, then it picks up your extension, otherwise it
> doesn't.
>
> I think a `#lang afl at-exp racket` combination should work fine: `afl`
> installs a handler for `#λ`, `at-exp` installs a handler for `@`, and
> `racket` uses `read-syntax` to see both extensions.

Well for some reason it doesn’t:
#lang afl at-exp racket/base
(map #λ(+ % 1) '(1 2 3)) ; read: bad syntax `#λ’

But also for some reason this does:
#lang at-exp afl racket/base
(map #λ(+ % 1) '(1 2 3)) ; '(2 3 4)
(map #λ@+[% 1] ‘(1 2 3)) ; ‘(2 3 4)
By the way I only just got this to work yesterday by doing basically this but for afl:
https://github.com/AlexKnauth/rackjure/commit/5fa266e672d529dde227ef216aaef157fa5c618c

Also is there any way to get something like this to work?:
#lang afl at-exp racket/base
@#λ(+ % 1)[1] ; read: bad syntax `#λ'

> Adding `#fn` support is a little trickier if you want to fall back to
> `#f` or `#false` when the character after `#f` (as determined by a
> peek) is not `n`. For that case, the readtable addition for `#f` should
> remember the old readtable, and then when it needs to fall back, it
> calls `read/recursive` with the saved readtable as the third argument.
> That way, immediate parsing of `#f...` uses the saved readtable without
> `afl` extensions, while parsing of sub-expressions will return to the
> current readtable that includes the `afl` extensions.

Do you mean like this?:
(define lambda-readtable (current-readtable))
(parameterize ([current-readtable orig-readtable])
  (read-syntax/recursive src in #f lambda-readtable))

> Documentation for the functions from a "<language>/lang/reader.rkt" is
> in section 1.3.18 of the Reference, which defines `#lang` (as being
> "like `#reader`, which is described in the same section).

Ok I just found this in section 1.3.18:
The arity of the resulting procedure determines whether it accepts extra source-location information: a read procedure accepts either one argument (an input port) or five, and aread-syntax procedure accepts either two arguments (a name value and an input port) or six. In either case, the four optional arguments are the reader’s module path (as a syntax object in read-syntax mode) followed by the line (positive exact integer or #f), column (non-negative exact integer or #f), and position (positive exact integer or #f) of the start of the #reader form.

But maybe there should be a link or something to section 1.3.18 from sections 17.2 and 17.3.1 of the Guide.
That would make it a lot easier to find it.