[racket] Does Racket GUI scale?

From: Dmitry Pavlov (dpavlov at ipa.nw.ru)
Date: Wed Jul 9 05:59:31 EDT 2014

Matthew,

> I'm not sure how much the problem is in `racket/gui` versus the
> underlying toolkits. Your example program scrolls nicely for me on
> Windows

Interesting, thanks! You are right -- Windows does the scrolling
smoothly with 1000 buttons. As a separate issue: look what
happened when I raised the number to 1500:

#lang racket
(require racket/gui/base)

(define frame
  (instantiate frame%
    ("Test")))

(define scrolling-panel
  (new vertical-panel%
       (parent frame)
       (style '(auto-vscroll))))

(for ((i (in-range 1500)))
  (new button%
       (parent scrolling-panel)
       (horiz-margin 0)
       (vert-margin 0)
       (label (number->string (+ 1 i)))))

(send frame resize 100 400)
(send frame show #t)

Result:

http://imgur.com/jDP9E2u

Do you have any clue what this can be?

> I think you would have to use `canvas%` and draw/manage the grid and
> controls manually. It's possible that the classes of `embedded-gui`
> will be useful, if you can set up a suitable harness for snips.

OK, thank you for the pointers.

Best regards,

Dmitry

P.S. I am lost and really hoping for an answer from you to the
Racket VM crash report which I posted Thursday :(

Posted on the users mailing list.