[racket] Can I make the frame% instances transparent?

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 19 20:18:16 EST 2014

On 01/19/2014 09:04 AM, WarGrey Gyoudmon Ju wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 6:52 AM, Matthias Felleisen
> <matthias at ccs.neu.edu <mailto:matthias at ccs.neu.edu>> wrote:
>

>     On Jan 18, 2014, at 5:48 PM, WarGrey Gyoudmon Ju wrote:
>
>>     Okay, I see.
>>
>>     Two more questions.
>>     1. Can frame% instance be transparent so that I can see the 2nd
>>     top-level window through it?
>
>     Are you looking for a pane?
>

> Nope.
>
> The picture below shows my target.
> Inline image 1
> The top-level window is my Racket GUI Application (Here iTerm2.app is
> used as an example), and the second top-level window is gmail.com
> <http://gmail.com>. I can see both because the top-level one is
> transparent.

Racket uses the wxWidgets toolkit for GUI stuff, and it doesn't support
this. It can make a top-level window partially transparent, but not just
the client area or just one subwindow (e.g. panel).

See this, which is 3 years old but I think is still current info:

     http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29881

If you can get an OS or window manager handle for a specific window, you
might be able to do it. You'd need to use Racket's FFI for that.

Neil ⊥

Posted on the users mailing list.