[racket] What does it mean by "algorithmic language"?

From: Hendrik Boom (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Thu Jan 9 10:42:47 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 02:55:12PM +0800, Ben Duan wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> The scheme standard is called "Revised Report on the Algorithmic Language
> Scheme", and ALGOL is short for "ALGOrithmic Language". Then what does it
> mean by "algorithmic language"?

ALGOL, way back in the late 50's, was designed for "expressing
algorithms".  Its first name, while it was still being invented, was,
if I recall correctly, IAL, standing for the International Algebraic
Language.  But before its defining report was published, they realised
that it was really for algorithms, not for algebra.

So it seemed reasonable to call it Algol.  I don't know why they
dropped the "Internatinal".  Presumably they thought it was
unnecessary.

There have been many algorithmic languages since, with many names, but
ALGOL 60 and ALGOL 68 are the ones developed by the original designers
and/or their successors.

By the way, Algol is also the name of a variable star.  Its name comes
from the Arabic, and means something like the Blinking Demon.

-- hendrik

Posted on the users mailing list.