[racket] Is racket suitable for such a project?

From: Hendrik Boom (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 08:22:39 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 06:49:59PM -0500, Yuhao Dong wrote:

>  - Racket doesn't seem to be able to call raw C code or machine code in
> static libraries, instead requiring the code be compiled into a library.
> Is this related to the fact that Racket is run in a VM rather than
> compiled to machine code?

>  - Some things in racket are pathologically slow. As an example, try
> implementing a cipher with loops and array indices and bytestrings. It
> will end up orders of magnitude slower than, say, C or Go or Java, or
> sometimes even Python.

I wonder how Gambit-C fares in this context.  Gambit-C is a Scheme that
is compiled  directly into C, and it has a mechanism for inline C code.
On debian it's the 'gambc' package, and the 'gambc-doc' package for
documentation.

But I suspect adapting Typed Racket to make it into Typed Gambit might
be a big project.

-- hendrik

Posted on the users mailing list.