[racket] (off) Purely Functional needs "One Memory/Massively Parallel"

From: Lawrence Bottorff (borgauf at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 7 10:51:17 EST 2014

AFAIK, recursion is must-do pillar of the functional style . . . and that
is why tail recursion came along to solve the real-world problem of the
overflowing stack. Likewise "I/O" is antithetical to functional . . . so,
obviously, data needs to be somehow quasi "live" and not "off site," not
discrete, not outside the domain/range function world. It seems like the
whole functional paradigm is sitting there in the middle of the road
staring at us, waiting for us to finally deal with this issue. .  .

. . . oh, and then I see a talk given by Gilad Bracha where he, like your
typical snarky American put-down comedian, pooh-poohs the whole idea
functional programming (
http://www.infoq.com/presentations/functional-pros-cons). And there's Scala
where the functional is like a dumb plow animal under the intelligent
guiding hand of the object-oriented master. And so, to somebody like me
trying to separate out all the propaganda, it's all very, very confusing.

I take it that you Racket folks are basically satisfied with how far you've
adopted the functional paradigm and you don't see the need to sweat the
whole "pure" thing. You're "realists" in the great American tradition. But
then I'm hearing from the Haskell people (again, not openly for fear of not
seeming realist) that the great benefit of pure functional is that, indeed,
the world can at last be described with all the succinctness and exactness
of mathematical formulae, i.e., math is code, code is math. If you've ever
seen "Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics," you see Scheme
being used throughout the book right along side all the typical math
formulae. This was quite the eye-opener for me. It seemed like not the
wedding, but perhaps the courtship of code and math, i.e., a real step
forward away from math being taken to a slaughterhouse and chopped up to be
eventually fried on processor barbecues.

So please take a break from "realism" and humor me with a few lines of
response.