[racket] universe program using 100% cpu on Mac (also poor Raspberry Pi performance)

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 29 21:00:24 EST 2014

TESTS: Say I want to eliminate a common pattern from your handle-key-down function. If it comes with some tests, four to be precise, a simple run -- without playing -- assures me of basic qualities. If you express tests like those below and you formulate them first, you get an idea of how to code the function. And -- for a large function -- a reader quickly gets the idea of how the function works from reading some tests.

(check-expect (handle-key-down initial-state "w")  (set-left-moving initial-state UP-DIR))

(define (handle-key-down world a-key)
  (cond
    [(key=? a-key "w") (set-left-moving world UP-DIR)]
    [(key=? a-key "s") (set-left-moving world DOWN-DIR)]
    [(key=? a-key "up") (set-right-moving world UP-DIR)]
    [(key=? a-key "down") (set-right-moving world DOWN-DIR)]
    [else world]))

(define (set-left-moving world dir)
  (set-left-paddle world (set-paddle-moving (pong-world-left-paddle world) dir PADDLE-SPEED)))

(define (set-right-moving world dir)
  (set-right-paddle world (set-paddle-moving (pong-world-right-paddle world) dir PADDLE-SPEED)))

GAME PAD: I am happy to see that you used on-pad. Your game does give me an idea on how to improve the whole 'pad situation'.

-- Matthias