[racket] tool performance: Windows vs Linux

From: George Neuner (gneuner2 at comcast.net)
Date: Sun Dec 21 15:00:25 EST 2014

Hi all,

I'm using 6.0.1 (64-bit)

I'm developing primarily on Windows 7 (just because) but deploying on
Ubuntu Linux (14.04).   I've noticed that on Linux the development tools
start up roughly 10 times faster than on Windows and raco make
compilation is about 2 seconds for 15 source files [~10K lines] vs 10-20
seconds per file on Windows [with all files specified on the command
line because cmd.exe doesn't expand wildcards].

I don't see similar differences in performance of my application [though
I haven't looked at memory use] ... if there is a speed difference, so
far it isn't noticeable.   Nor do I see any difference in startup times
once my application is compiled and *linked*.

However, if I run racket and my application as a collection of scripts
(doesn't matter pre-compiled with raco or not) there is an enormous
difference in startup times: 2-3 seconds on Linux vs 30+ seconds on Windows.

Anybody know the reason(s) why the Windows versions (relatively) would
be so much slower?

Just wondering.
George

Posted on the users mailing list.