[racket] in-query problems

From: George Neuner (gneuner2 at comcast.net)
Date: Wed Dec 10 12:22:00 EST 2014

Hi all,

I'm using 6.0.1  and having problems trying to use  in-query.

First:   in-query  is the only function that can use cursors, but,
unlike the other row returning functions (query, query-rows,
query-maybe-row),  in-query  doesn't appear to understand Postgresql
array fields - they are returned as "unreadable".  That's a significant
problem for me:  I have a query that may return a large number - perhaps
thousands - of rows which contain array fields.  I need to process those
fields and insert derived information back into the database before
passing on the results of the query to the caller.

I can work around it by getting a list of identifiers for matching rows
from a separate query and then iterating the list fetching the rows
separately using one of the query functions that works ... but even
fetching in groups that will be a lot slower than keep a cursor open on
a single query.

Second ... and this is just annoying ... it seems that, unlike the other
row returning functions,  in-query  requires that the result columns be
enumerated - i.e. you can't say "select * from ..." to retrieve
arbitrary tuples.  That's inconvenient when you really want the whole
record and even more so if the columns aren't known statically, which
forces the SQL to be  assembled dynamically [never ideal, but necessary
sometimes].  I don't have a dynamic situation here, but I have
encountered them in the past.  This seems like a needless limitation.

Have either of these things changed in 6.1?

Thanks,
George

Posted on the users mailing list.