[racket] how to get exact results from get-text-extent

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 2 22:17:11 EST 2014

Here are some options for representing lengths.

  * Fixed-point numbers; i.e. a fixnum n represents n/2^k (where k = 16
for TeX). These are cheap and easy until you want to multiply or divide
them. Then they get more expensive and bit-shifty. You can forget about
doing anything else quickly. On the plus side, if you allow arbitrary
integers, lengths that fit in a fixnum are still reasonably fast to
operate on, and there's no limit on maximum length.

  * Flonums. With these, you can exactly represent lengths up to 2^36 =
68719476736 points at TeX's 1/2^16-point precision. In Racket, they're
just about as fast as fixnums, unless a result is put in a struct or is
heap-allocated. Those results are 2x-3x slower.

  * Exact rationals. Exact for arithmetic, slow, and generally grow
without bound as the number of operations that produces them increases.
Non-arithmetic forces deciding on a precision, but can be done with just
a little pain by converting to bigfloats and back.

  * Double-doubles; i.e. two flonums that represent one value, for about
106 bits precision. (So at TeX's precision, they exactly represent
lengths up to 2^90 = 1237940039285380274899124224 points.) 10x slower
than flonums, and 4x more annoying to work with.

  * Bigfloats. About 100x slower than flonums. The default precision of
128 bits is likely way more than you'll ever need for layout.

Here's the thing: layout code will do a lot more than compute
arithmetic. Indexing two structs to get operands to add together takes
more time than actually adding them; sometimes a lot more. IMO, this
makes the speed of fixnums vs. flonums, or even fixnums vs. integers
(usually), a non-issue. You may even be able to get away with using
bigfloats if you need them.

Here's what I'd do: decide on a smallest fractional point and a longest
length, and determine how many bits that requires. If 52 bits is enough,
use flonums. If it's not, write a prototype using bigfloats. If that's
too slow, try double-doubles or fixed-point numbers.

(If you use fixed-point numbers, double the number of fractional bits to
make area calculations exact and square roots decently precise. The
latter can be computed using `integer-sqrt` without too much trouble.)

Neil ⊥