[racket] how to get exact results from get-text-extent

From: Matthew Butterick (mb at mbtype.com)
Date: Mon Dec 1 19:07:56 EST 2014

Right, I meant "exact" in the Racket sense of "exact rational."

The broader issue I'm thinking about is what kind of units to use in a
typesetting system in order to get the best balance of precision and speed.

For instance, the flexibility of a 64-bit flonum doesn't necessarily buy
you anything over a 64-bit fixnum, since typesetting systems have a
practical limit on both precision (in the subpixel direction) and scale (in
the megapixel direction).

TeX, for instance, is based on a "scaled point" which represents 1/65536th
of a point, with a max dimension of 2^30 scaled points, or about 19 feet.
One could imagine a 64-bit version of this concept that extends both the
scale and precision (to ludicrous degrees) while remaining a fixnum (which
I gather from the docs are typically cheapest).