[racket] Package installation VERY SLOW

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 30 09:41:02 EDT 2014

At Mon, 25 Aug 2014 21:42:08 -0400, George Neuner wrote:
> Just upgraded to 6.0.1 from 5.3.4.  I know it's a big leap and 6.1 is
> out already, but I tried 6.1 and quickly experienced several of those
> non-reproducible crashes I've been reading about in the lists.

Do you mean Evgeny's report on August 1, or did you have something else
in mind? (I don't have the sense that there are widespread reports of
problems with v6.1, so I may be missing something.)

If you have time to help and you can quickly provoke crashes --- even
if you're not sure what causes it --- that sounds promising for
debugging. I'll ask more about that off-list.

> 6.0.1 is behaving itself, but installing new packages from PLaneT or
> migrating packages from the older version is taking HOURS ...
> virtually all of it spent processing .scrbl files.

It's probably no surprise to hear that it worked ok on my machine
(about 1 minute) in a fresh v6.0.1 install.

Can you say more about the ".scrbl" part? Is the process of installing
a Planet package rebuilding documentation for the entire installation?
Or is it getting stuck on just the documentation for the installed
packages plus the main page and search index?

> I have both 32 and 64 bit versions: doesn't matter which version I
> use, how much memory I give to Racket (in racket-prefs.rktd), or
> whether I use raco from the command line or the GUI-based package
> manager.

FWIW, the memory limit in the preferences file isn't supposed to affect
package installation.

Posted on the users mailing list.