[racket] Should `raco pkg update <x>` presume --update-deps?

From: Matthew Butterick (mb at mbtype.com)
Date: Fri Aug 29 13:21:54 EDT 2014

Exhuming this thread because I've recently encountered this issue too —
expecting `raco pkg update ...` to update dependencies, and then it
doesn't.

Reviewing the correspondence we have:

1. The Hendershott option — automatic dependency updating by default
2. The McCarthy option — dependency updating only when asked

I understand the logic of both. Yet we could add more options to the pile:

3. The user option — `raco pkg update ...` puts up a user prompt if it
notices that dependencies have changed (similar to what happens with `raco
pkg install ...`)

4. The Not All Dependencies Are Equal option — this is where I'm at. My
Pollen package depends on two other packages that I maintain (Sugar &
Txexpr) but also some packages I don't maintain (Markdown & Rackjure et
al.)

Some bugs that arise in Pollen are really bugs in Sugar or Txexpr. So in
one sense, I would like `raco pkg update ...` to always update those
dependencies.

But Pollen doesn't depend as sensitively on Markdown et al. So, similar to
Jay's secret-wiki-server example, I don't want to tell users to do `raco
pkg update --update-deps ...` because it might bring in new versions of
Markdown et al. that destabilize user installations.

5. The Just Use Versioning option — I gather that I could manage all this
manually by adding version requirements to Pollen's 'info.rkt' file. For
instance: update the Sugar package, update the Sugar package version,
update Pollen's dependency on with the new Sugar version number, and then
`raco pkg update pollen` will get the Sugar update but leave others alone.

But I don't like this option, because it a) puts me into the
version-tracking business and b) feels it like undermines one of the nice
principles of the Racket package system, which is letting us care about
checksums rather than versions when that makes sense.

As I say that, I wonder if a solution would be to allow a package
maintainer to determine the behavior of `racket pkg update ...` from within
'info.rkt', perhaps by adding a 'latest option to the #:version field.

For instance, here's the current Pollen dependency line:

(define deps '(("base" #:version "6.0") "txexpr" "sugar" ("markdown"
#:version "0.18") "htdp"))

Right now `raco pkg update pollen` won't update Markdown unless I bump the
#:version. I like that. But it won't update Txexpr or Sugar either. I don't
like that.

Whereas if I could do this:

(define deps '(("base" #:version "6.0") ("txexpr" #:version 'latest)
("sugar" #:version 'latest) ("markdown" #:version "0.18") "htdp"))

That could be the signal that `raco pkg update pollen` should always scoop
up any available updates for Txexpr and Sugar too, while leaving Markdown
alone as usual.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Greg Hendershott <greghendershott at gmail.com