[racket] top-level-rename

From: Jens Axel Søgaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Sun Aug 10 11:01:01 EDT 2014

> At Wed, 6 Aug 2014 22:03:17 +0200, Jens Axel Søgaard wrote:
>> The program below produce bytecodes for the program that returns a
>> syntax-object representing 42.
>>
>> The syntax-object looks like this:
>>
>>     (#s((stx zo 0)
>>            #s((wrapped zo 0)
>>               42
>>               (#s((top-level-rename wrap 0 zo 0) #f)
>>                #s((top-level-rename wrap 0 zo 0) #f)
>>                #s((top-level-rename wrap 0 zo 0) #t)
>>                #s((phase-shift wrap 0 zo 0) 0 #f #f #f))
>>               clean))))
>>
>> Two questions:
>>    1) Why three top-level-renames and not just one?
>>
>>    2) What is the meaning of the boolean flag?
>
> The boolean apparently indicates whether the rename is for phase 0. It
> should instead be the phase of the rename, where using a boolean for
> the phase is probably a leftover from an original implementation where
> imports were either phase 0 or phase 1.
>
> The three renames are from phases 0, 1, and #f.

Got it.

The next part of the syntax object is:

     #s((phase-shift wrap 0 zo 0) 0 #f #f #f))

The form of a phase-shift is
    (phase-shift amt src dest cancel-id)
where
  amt is #f or an integer,
  src and dest are module-path-index?
  cancel-id is #f or an integer

The documentation on phase-shift is rather brief.

1) Is it correct that a shift of #f means that only bindings at phase level 0
    are shifted to the label phase level?

2) Even though src and dest are documented to be module-path-indices
    the example show that #f is a valid value too.
    Is it safe to assume that the combination #f #f means toplevel and
"self-module" ?
    Or do #f  mean "use the same value as before" ?

3) The example shows a phase-shift of 0. At first I didn't get what
the purpose of this.
    Then I found a comment in add_renames_unless_module :

    /* this "phase shift" just attaches the namespace's module registry: */
    form = scheme_stx_phase_shift(form, NULL, NULL, NULL,

genv->module_registry->exports, NULL, NULL);

    and this comment in scheme_stx_phase_shift :

    /* Shifts the phase on a syntax object in a module. A 0 shift might be
    used just to re-direct relative module paths. new_midx might be
    NULL to shift without redirection. And so on. */

    Is this is the explanation behind the zero phase shift?

4) What is the cancel-id? used for ?

/Jens Axel

Posted on the users mailing list.