[racket] Question about tail recursion

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 8 12:17:37 EDT 2014

1. Some calls are tail-calls [whether programmers care or not]. So this is really about the issue of how compilers deal with tail calls.

2. What people commonly call 'tail-call optimization' is not. It is a misnomer, and I am sure the people who dubbed it an 'optimization' regret this mistake. A lot.

3. It should be called Proper Implementation of Tail Calls (which I like to abbreviate to PITCH).

4. The point of PITCH is to save stack allocations and with it deallocation. Neither is very expensive (certainly cheaper than heap allocation) but if you don't have to do it, you save space. Period.

5. You are saving stack space in both cases: sum and filter. In both cases, you avoid pushing frames with return info and other data on to the stack. In one case, you have the additional benefit of computing the result on the fly -- because of the supposed commutativity of these operations. Try this with floating point numbers. Or try this for multiplication (say in factorial).

Bottom lines: functions converted to TC shape may perform computations in a different order if you're not careful, they may get different results, and they may slow the program down, because they use to big-number multiplication immediately as opposed to small-number, built-in multiplication (and similar examples).