[racket] Performance. Higher-order function

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 4 01:47:34 EDT 2014

Well... a function call is expensive relative to some things, such as
adding fixnums to produce a fixnum.

My read of your initial results is that calling an unknown function is
similar to the cost of one iteration in a loop that sets a character in
a string.

More precisely, decompiling the program shows that the compiler unrolls
the loop in `test1` by 4 iterations, so one call to an unknown function
is the same cost as 4 generic `<`s on fixnums, 4 generic `+ 1`s on
fixnums, 4 `integer->char`s, 4 `string-set!s`, and one jump to a known
function (to recur).

The `build-string1` loop is similarly unrolled 4 times, and the call to
`build-string1` is not inlined in `test3`, so we really can compare the
unknown function call in `test3` to the overall loop overhead plus
`string-set!`s of `test1`. And the fact that neither `build-string1`
nor `test2 is inlined is consistent with `test2` and `test3` having the
same performance.

If I change the `for` body of `test1` with a constant, then the time is
cut in half. So, a `string-set!` takes up about half of the time.

Putting that all together, it looks like a call to an unknown function
takes about twice the time of a `string-set!` --- which (due to various
tag and bounds checks for the string assignment) costs the same as a
small pile of generic arithmetic on fixnums. That could be considered
expensive in a tight loop.

I would hesitate to say that higher order functions are always slow,
because many uses do more work around the call than set one character
in a string.