[racket] Teaching logical thinking via programming in Scheme

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 3 17:52:31 EDT 2014

It seems to me that Igor Rivin's major flaw in thinking shows up on page 1 as a section title. In "The Consumer" the opinion piece makes the common mistake to introduce the undergraduate student as a consumer. He is not. The undergraduate student is the product that we, the professors, consume from the US K-12 system and that we deliver to employers and graduate schools. It just so happens that Universities and Colleges make their product pay for the value-enrichment process because their product has free will and choose where to put the new-found skills to use after graduation. In turn, the product makes the future employer pay for the process of obtaining a Bachelors degree.

But otherwise Rivin has his heart at the right place and it is worth exploiting his ideas.

-- Matthias