[racket] big-bang is slow to render on screen?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Apr 22 10:25:11 EDT 2014

This probably isn't a help, but just in case...

Also check the xorg conf file and syslog for which driver it's using (it
often autodetects nowadays, and picks from among applicable installed
drivers).

In addition to which driver it's picking up, also check for whether it
was able to load any device firmware blob or secondary (closed source)
shared library.

(Incidentally, I've actually noticed better 2D behavior overall from the
open-source driver for my old Radeon laptop, except for video scaling.)

Also maybe restart the xorg server or reboot.  I don't know give that
advice, and I don't know the xorg internals, but occasionally (esp. with
closed driver) I have noticed performance behavior that seems like the
server might be bogged down with cached pixmaps or similar.  I've seen
this with Firefox.

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.