[racket] ANN: 2048 game - Racket edition

From: Daniel Prager (daniel.a.prager at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 20 20:51:44 EDT 2014

Jay:

Thanks for bringing up the appropriate attributions - I've modified the
readme to give clearer acknowledgement of Threes, which was where the bulk
of the creative effort occurred. Game design is hard - huge design space:
much harder than cloning / re-implementing.

Neil: Thanks for giving it a spin and the comments!

* Window disappearing: Doesn't happen for me running in Dr Racket / Mac OS
X / Mavericks: you should get a big fat "GAME OVER" on the screen. You can
get to the end of the game quickly by reducing the *side* to 2 or tweaking
the (initial-state). Perhaps that will give some more clues.

* Color choices: I got impatient and decided to release it! They're
specified near the top of the file. One thing the "original" 2048 does is
use some white as well as black text to allow for darker colors.

* Animation: I'm finding this too. Suggestions welcome on profiling /
optimising from someone who understands the mechanics of (big-bang). I'm
guessing appropriate caching would help. I ran into similar issues with my
turtle-graphics (https://github.com/danprager/turtlegraphics) in movie
mode, so maybe some tips in the docs on keeping things smooth would be
helpful.

> Also BTW, have no *students* yet implemented this game in Racket? Stop
slacking, and get with the program, students!

I'm hoping that some thought and effort will go into making creative
variations ...

Dan