[racket] matrix-solve and approximation errors

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 20 20:16:54 EDT 2014

This makes a lot of sense. I checked this out a few years back when I wanted to formulate a contract for adaptive integration as an example for a paper. I couldn't find much and gave up. I should have realized that this is a research problem, possibly a dissertation problem. -- Matthias

On Apr 20, 2014, at 6:05 PM, Neil Toronto wrote:

> On 04/17/2014 10:07 AM, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
>>
>> Neil, a two-layer design, using option contracts, could be a solution here.
>
> Interesting! So we could have both math/matrix and (say) math/unchecked-matrix, where the former enables the option contracts (e.g. that check matrix condition numbers), and the latter doesn't. Each could re-export the same implementation.
>
> Enforcing low floating-point error using contracts requires solving a few research-level problems, though.
>

> 1. Not only is floating-point error not compositional, it's not even monotone. For example, for large arguments, `fllog` reduces error:
>
> > (require math)
> > (define a (flstep 1000.0 5))         ; 1000 approx., 5 ulps error
> > (define b (flstep 1002.0 5))         ; 1002 approx., 5 ulps error
> > (flulp-error (* a b) (* 1000 1002))
> 10.0                                   ; Error for * is additive
> > (flulp-error (fllog (* a b))
>               (bigfloat->real (bflog (bf (* 1000 1002)))))
> 0.2789786104670918                     ; Whoa, just rounding error
>
> (Admittedly, decreasing error is less likely than increasing error because most operations at least add rounding error.)
>
> Pretending error is monotone would rule out useful high-error approximations. Dealing with floating-point error's nonmonontonicity would make it hard to determine blame, or when to raise exceptions.
>

> 2. A robust floating-point implementation usually approximates its function in more than one way. One common strategy is to first try a reasonably fast approximation that has low error on a large domain, and switch to a slower but more accurate approximation if the fast one's estimated error is high. Can contracts support this strategy? Can they support it efficiently?
>
> (Efficiently switching to another approximation is probably less of a concern in linear algebra, where most operations are O(n^2) or O(n^3).)
>

> 3. To a user who expects flonums to be just like real numbers but maybe with a bit of error, an approximation error contract violation - even if it blames exactly the right expression - will seem capricious and inexplicable. "It won't let me compute the dot product of this vector and the result of solving this system of equations? What's wrong with this library?"
>

> 4. How do we express the invariants of a function's floating-point implementation as contracts?
>

> 5. A call site doesn't always need the absolute minimum error a floating-point function can provide. Further, how much error it can tolerate may be contextual. How do we express a call site's approximation error requirements?
>

> Again, I think these are interesting research problems. They may also be some reasons why nobody has tried this yet (as far as I know). The first three are the reasons I hesitate to use contracts to enforce low error right now.

>> On Apr 16, 2014, at 3:18 PM, Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net> wrote:

> [...]

Posted on the users mailing list.