[racket] launching DrRacket from a web browser

From: Laurent (laurent.orseau at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 22 03:33:15 EDT 2013

> For the archives, I am having my web server deliver
> application/x-racket.  Using the `xdg-mime` command
> I install bindings for this MIME type to a .desktop application, and
> my web browser does the right thing.  I believe that xdg-mime is
> supposed to be a cross-platform tool; at the very least, it works on
> multiple Linux distributions.
>
> It would be very nice if the next major release of the Racket
> installer placed a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications
> (or wherever else these things are allowed to go).  I believe the
> standards are described at freedesktop.org.

On the latest version, it now does that:

% cat /usr/share/app-install/desktop/racket:drracket.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
X-AppInstall-Package=racket
X-AppInstall-Popcon=50
X-AppInstall-Section=universe

Name=DrRacket
Comment=IDE for Racket
Exec=drracket
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Development;
Icon=plt
StartupNotify=true

X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=app-install-data

It does not seem to install a mime type though (yet?).

Laurent