[racket] Reading large XML files

From: Konrad Hinsen (konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net)
Date: Wed Oct 16 06:31:34 EDT 2013

Neil Van Dyke writes:

 > The name ``SXML'' is a bit confusing.

A good understatement ;-)

 > What happened is that, a long time ago, Oleg Kiselyov defined an XML
 > representation, called SXML.  He also wrote a series of Scheme code and
 > papers on tools that used SXML, including his XML parser (called SSAX),
 > and an XPath implementation (called SXPath).  A few different people

I found all that, split over two sites:

   http://ssax.sourceforge.net/
   http://okmij.org/ftp/Scheme/xml.html

Those interested in the XML parser, SSAX, should go straight for

   http://okmij.org/ftp/papers/XML-parsing.ps.gz

which is the paper describing its design and use. It's typical
research code: a lot of attention is given to the overall design and
to the data structures and algorithms used in the implementation, but
there's almost no documentation for users, nor anything one could call
software distribution or maintenance. It doesn't look like something
one would want to have as a dependency in a package meant for
production use.

 > As my own SXML-related tools have evolved, I've adopted my own project
 > to tweak SXML slightly (e.g., add easier character entities for manually
 > writing HTML in SXML, other HTML conveniences), and am temporarily
 > calling this SXML variant ``xexp'', to try to avoid further confusing

Ah, now I understand what the xexp stuff is all about :-)

But I still wonder what someone in my situation should do. It looks
like SSAX does all I need, and well. But with all those
similar-but-not-quite-the-same packagings, how to pick the one most
likely to be available and working a few years from now?

Konrad.

Posted on the users mailing list.