[racket] shell-completion package missing

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sun Oct 6 11:34:03 EDT 2013

Yesterday, Greg Hendershott wrote:

> It's not just you. I've accumulated versions of Racket for OS X that
> I've kept "just in case" whenever I install a new version: 5.2.1,
> 5.3, 5.3.1, 5.3.2, 5.3.5.  None have a meta subdir under collects.

Yes, the meta collection was never intended to be distributed.  The
plan for the shell completions was to have a way to put the files in a
proper place, and move them to a non-meta collection.  Both have
already happened in the git head.

Yesterday, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Vlad Kozin <vladilen.kozin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Docs say:
> >
> > > The "meta" collection is only available in the Racket Full distribution
> >
> > What's Racket Full distribution?
>
> The "Full" distribution includes everything in the repository,
> including tests and libraries that weren't widely used.  It's a
> concept that's going away with the new package system.

It shouldn't really go away.  The thing is that some packages are
things that people will rarely want, like the web page sources, or
specific server sources.

> It appears the it's no longer available on the release page -- Eli,
> do you know what happened there?

It was never a download -- it only existed on pre.racket-lang.org .

> I think it was probably a mistake to have the shell completion
> scripts only in the Full distribution, but since we've re-organized
> the distribution it won't be a problem in the future..

It wasn't a mistake since the main point of moving them into a
non-meta is to have some way of putting the files in the proper
place.  Without that, all you'd get is a directory with some files
that you'll need to know how you wire into your shell.  Assuming that
you know how to do that, you can just get the files and do so:

  http://git.racket-lang.org/plt/tree/HEAD:/pkgs/shell-completion

(There's another advantage for distributing the files, of course:
having your completion updated with racket updates.)