[racket] quick-sort algorithm in scheme could be used in real world?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Thu Nov 14 10:44:21 EST 2013

Real world, in most cases, you'd use Racket's built-in "sort" procedure.

HtDP uses the list-based sort as a pedagogic example.  They are not
saying that's the usual way to implement a sort.

However, in rare cases with unusual requirements, when you're doing your
own algorithms and data structure work, it might make sense to
incorporate a list-processing behavior similar to the sort from HtDP.
It's necessarily a bad way to sort.

If you get into algorithmic analysis, you'll study many different
sorting algorithms, and be able to characterize their performance under
different conditions.  But again, for most real world sorting purposes,
just use the built-in "sort" procedure.

Neil V.

Li Weijian wrote at 11/13/2013 10:53 PM:
> I found the quick-sort in HTDP:
> http://www.htdp.org/2003-09-26/Book/curriculum-Z-H-32.html#node_sec_25.2
>
> This algorithm is not an in place algorithm such as we implement in
> java/c++.
>
> I am curious such that LISP quick-sort algorithm could be used in real
> world?

Posted on the users mailing list.