[racket] Should `raco pkg update <x>` presume --update-deps?

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at cs.indiana.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 11 13:35:30 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Jay McCarthy <jay.mccarthy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, that's correct. As you mention "update = remove + install", I
> hope this result is predictable. Imagine, for a moment that someone
> used your old markdown package with my unreleased super-secret Racket
> Wiki server. Then, they decided that they wanted your blog engine too.
> You wouldn't expect installing "frog" to update the markdown package.
> Since "raco pkg update <x>" is literally just removing the package and
> adding it again (with a tiny bit of a barrier in case the second
> install fails), it works the same way.

Related to 'update = remove + install', when the user who's issue
triggered this conversation ran using `--update-deps`, it didn't work:

> raco pkg update --update-deps frog
raco pkg update: could not remove package
 package not currently installed
  current scope: user
  package: (markdown 0.5)
  currently installed:
   base
   frog
   parsack
   rackjure
   markdown
   find-parent-dir

I'm not sure how this could happen, but I think it indicates that
'remove + install' may be too simplistic to work in general.

Sam

Posted on the users mailing list.