[racket] Best way to propose changes to Scribble CSS files

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 9 12:13:38 EST 2013

On 11/09/2013 07:35 AM, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> At Sat, 9 Nov 2013 02:12:55 -0500, Matthew Butterick wrote:
>> The prototype repo is here:
>>
>> https://github.com/mbutterick/racket-doc-redo/tree/gh-pages
>>
>> To preview the pages in a web browser, start here:
>>
>> http://mbutterick.github.io/racket-doc-redo/doc/index.html
>
> That looks fantastic.

+10

I really like the use of lines and space to offset sections. I like the
balance between size and weight in all the text, especially the
headings. The main text font is just right. It's easy to ignore the
navigation and search bar at the left when I want to, but it's easy to
read. In short, this is very easy on the eyes and usable.

> As a nit, given the overall gray look, the yellow background for a
> `require`/`#lang` library box looks somehow mismatched or too prominent
> to me.

I've gotten used to recognizing the boundaries of documentation parts by
the blue boxes. Would it make me a philistine to want them blue again,
but with about the same level of saturation and lightness as the yellow
boxes?

Huh. After reading the documentation for a while, I've decided I don't
really need that. But it's an idea.

Some little things I've noticed (on Firefox 24.0):

  * Clicking one of the top-level headings on the "The Racket Reference"
    page draws a dotted outline very tall around the text. (The boxes
    around every other link I've clicked have been snug.)

  * On the "Evaluation Model" page, the pink background behind some of
    the code is about 3px taller behind space characters.

  * The "Search Manuals" page also needs some of your TLC. :)

  * The page has to be about 1247px wide (+/-5) for the margin notes to
    show up in the margin.

I don't know whether the last one is intentional. What's the threshold
supposed to be?

One last thing, which might require some cooperation from Scribble: the
`deftogether' form puts many contracts in the same box. (See the
"racket/flonum" page, for example.) It's always been hard to find the
boundaries between contracts, especially when they're not simple, and it
would be nice to do something about that.

(For technical reasons, the plot documentation usually doesn't use
`deftogether'. I'm curious to see how it looks in the new style, but I
can wait.)

Neil ⊥

Posted on the users mailing list.