[racket] struct constructor pitfalls

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed May 29 17:54:34 EDT 2013

On May 29, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Anthony Carrico <acarrico at memebeam.org> wrote:

> It seems like the purpose of #:constructor-name is to get the default
> contsructor out of the way,

It's really just to move from make-hello to hello for constructor names w/ easy backward compatibility.

> so you can customize it:
>
> #lang racket
>
> (struct hello (a b c)
>  #:constructor-name hello-rep
>  )
>
> (define (hello) (hello-rep 1 2 3))

If you want to have constructors and/or selectors and/or mutators that aren't standard, you may wish to use this pattern:

(define-values (constructor predicate selector)
  (let ()
    (struct my (you))
    (values my my? (lambda (x) (displayln `(accessing the ,x struct)) (my-you x)))))

But yes, this eliminates other things you may have.

-- Matthias