[racket] multiple instances of compiled for distribution software

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon May 20 08:47:55 EDT 2013

At Sun, 19 May 2013 16:10:43 -0800, Zelah Hutchinson wrote:
> I am curious as to whether it would be possible to run multiple
> instances of a compiled Racket program. If so, then how may I do
> this? When I try to run the program twice by double clicking in Mac
> OS, I still only get one running process. This seems like a very
> serious limitation. Is there a way around this?

Racket GUI programs on Mac OS X behave like other Mac OS X GUI
programs, which means that double-clicking the icon moves a previously
started instance to the front --- but also that you can start multiple
instances by using the command line.

Here's one way:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57564478-263/how-to-open-multiple-instances-of-an-application-in-os-x/

I don't know why there isn't a GUI way to do that in Mac OS X, but
below is a little Racket program that you can turn into an application
and use to launch a new instance of any Mac application.

#lang racket/gui

(define f (get-file
           "Choose an Application"
           #f