[racket] doc request for serve/servlet

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 22 08:06:09 EDT 2013

I'm willing to change the docs, but I'd like to try to explain it in
an email to make sure the explanation is okay.

The key sentence of the documentation is: "start is loaded as a
servlet and responds to requests that match servlet-regexp."

The default for servlet-regexp is such that the ONLY path that the
servlet responds to is "/servlets/standalone.rkt" and ALL other paths
are handled by the static file handlers.

It is common to change the servlet-regexp to something like #rx"",
which causes ALL requests to be handled by the servlet. When you do
this, the documentation is still correct, but you may not realize the
consequence of what you've done.

Throughout the Web server infrastructure, and serve/servlet does not
change this, if you call (next-dispatcher) then the current responder
FAILS and the next responder gets a chance. In the context of
serve/servlet, if you call (next-dispatcher) after using #rx"" to take
over all requests, then for that particular request where
(next-dispatcher) was dynamically called, the static handlers take
over.

It so happens that the default "else" clause in web-server/dispatch is
to call (next-dispatcher). From the documentation: "If else-fun is
left out, one is provided that calls (next-dispatcher) to signal to
the Web Server that this dispatcher does not apply."

Thus, if you use the #rx"" regexp AND dispatch-rules, then it is
likely that the "right" thing will happen without you trying because
you won't write an else and then if your servlet doesn't handle the
request, the static handler will be in control.

Overall, I don't know what the documentation should be changed to say.
All this is in the documentation right now: you just might not realize
you are telling the servlet to handle everything, but once you realize
that you just need to know how to turn that off, and that isn't
specific in any way to serve/servlet, so I don't feel like it is
appropriate to put it there. (Alternatively, you should just be more
specific in your servlet-regexp, by using something like
(re-complement #rx"/static/.+"), and that's reasonable to expect a
user to realize, IMHO.)

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>