[racket] OFFTOPIC - Quote on Programming

From: Laurent (laurent.orseau at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 03:19:33 EDT 2013

I think "clever" here is meant in the "smart-ass" sense.

Let me take this smart-ass definition to be measured by how much you write
"compressed" code (in the sense of Kolmogorov complexity, which
incomputability fits well with the cleverness).
You have a compression function C: Program -> Program which compresses a
program to the best /you/ can in reasonable time.
So we have, for any program p you write, the length l(p) is greater or
equal to the length l(C(p)).
Now say you are able to debug a program p only if l(p) > C(p) + N bits (we
are in log scale, so addition instead of twice).
Then if you compress a program to the most /you/ can, i.e. you write a
program p so that l(p) = C(p), then you're screwed for debugging it.

I.e., between "Never write the same code twice" and "Compress your programs
as much as possible", there's a line one should not cross.

Laurent