[racket] Rounding

From: Eric Nadeau (nado18 at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 16 23:47:55 EDT 2013

The point of rounding is coming up with the best possible integer approximation for a decimal and this nearest even number rule does not qualify. This "logic" was used by my grandparents' generation because odd numbers were seen as less pure than even ones.

I'm ditching Scheme altogether based on this, but thanks all for the good explanations, it can be confirmed by running the following (I thought it was only a fluke with 0.5):

(round 0.5) (round 1.5) (round 2.5) (round 3.5)

On 16-Mar-2013, at 20:31, Nadeem Abdul Hamid wrote:

>> Since when is round 0.5 not giving 1?!
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounding#Round_half_to_even
>
> --- nadeem

Posted on the users mailing list.