[racket] Trying to run Racket as an administrator: sudo racket

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Fri Jul 26 06:32:12 EDT 2013

If plain "racket" needs "PLTCOLLECTS" set to access its standard
collections, then sounds like Racket isn't installed properly.

If you need "PLTCOLLECTS" set to include some nonstandard collections,
then try adding an environment variable setting to the "sudo command
line, like: sudo PLTCOLLECTS=/my/directory/here: racket

That said, I discourage running Racket as "root".  Sometimes this can be
avoided by running the Racket code in its own unprivileged "racket"
process, perhaps using TCP or socket client/server, or having one
process spawn the other and using stdio.  Note that an unprivileged
"racket" process can call "sudo" itself to run helper programs, such as
by using "http://www.neilvandyke.org/racket-sudo/".

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.