[racket] Use `set!' or not in this [other] scenario?

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 19 13:30:58 EDT 2013

Antoine,

I'm changing the subject slightly to make a second thread, just to avoid
confusion between the two set! questions.

I'm not sure I entirely understand why you're using set! to produce your
results rather than simply returning them from the function.  I believe
you're saying it's because the function isn't tail recursive, but non-tail
recursion will be equally as (in)efficient either way.

There are certainly some cases where it's more natural to use set! to
accumulate a result than to build it up recursively, but they're the
exception rather than the rule.  I suggest trying to write your solution
functionally first, and see how that goes.  Resort to set! only if that
fails somehow.

Carl Eastlund