[racket] Aging code -- Algol 68

From: Sean McBeth (sean.mcbeth at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 10 22:14:31 EDT 2013

Hey! Thanks for the story! Yeah, here I'm complaining about unstylish code
over 15 years, you've got a completely different problem! Very interesting.

In a way, it fits one of my categories. I'm sure there was a motivation for
writing an Algol 68 compiler, a motivation that just did not stand up to
time. Much like my ersatz Canvas drawing system (I think I even called it
Canvas), it's fun and challenging and engaging to actually write the code,
but it's not going to be a component of a modern system.

Your comment on a simpler sublanguage is interesting. Over dinner, thinking
more on this subject, it struck me that the code that I have written over
the years that has stood up better over time has been "the simplest
possible, but no simpler". Fancy tricks have a tendency to get invalidated
in compiler updates.

I also thought about the types of languages I'm likely to write in. I did
almost exclusively Java and C# during the time I was employed by a boss.
There are some cultural pressures that seem to make these particular
languages volatile over time. Like, if you don't have a new version of C#
every year, it's an indication that the language is dead or something.
Whereas C over the years is not hugely different from when it started.
Thinking beyond my short experience, it's obvious that a developer culture
that values upheaval in the language every few years is going to encourage
the sort of staleness that I mentioned in my Priority Queue story.

I still have to do a lot of .NET stuff today for some of my clients, so I
have to keep the latest versions of Visual Studio installed on a Windows
partition. Going through my code, I was struck by how poorly VS2012 "played
with" projects built in VS.NET 2003. It technically works, yes, but it
first insists that I upgrade the project files and occasionally misses some
of the dependencies. Yet I've never had a problem with running GCC against
a pile of code, no matter how old it is (though again, not *that* old).