[racket] Why experienced programmers don’t use comments?

From: Richard Cleis (rcleis at me.com)
Date: Tue Jul 9 12:55:18 EDT 2013

We continue to edit, comment, and document code as if it will be printed on paper and read from top to bottom. Instead, editors should manage templates for comments and documentation that can instantly be controlled (clutter switches, arguably). The software leads need a way of affecting the requirements that these aids impose.

I am an experienced programmer and believer in the teachings of HtDP, but it is impractical to convince others of the benefits of taking the time to (for example) describe inputs and outputs... as schedules are gradually morphing into nonsense. Furthermore, changing arguments as code evolves screws up whatever comments and documentation have already been made. Development environments that aid programmers in maintaining such non-compiled portions of programs have been attempted, but they are hardly good enough or universally accepted.

I suppose that was a long way of saying that it is too difficult maintain thorough comments, so experienced programmers instead use their heads to minimize them.

rac