[racket] Why experienced programmers don’t use comments?

From: Rüdiger Asche (rac at ruediger-asche.de)
Date: Tue Jul 9 11:56:11 EDT 2013

well, even though this side tracks the discussion even more, I can't help but pitching in a few comments from a practitioner's point of view (I'm sure entire seminars in college are dedicated to the topic of commenting, so this may or may not be an old hat - apologies to anybody who may already have spent nights debating those issues):

There are at least two levels to commenting, as you point out - one could comment a line such as i = i+1 as "increment i" (useless) or, as "make sure i is updated the next time around." (this second comment roughly corresponds to your "only useful type of comments" below). Corresponding to lingulingo, I'd like to tag these as "syntactic comments" and "semantic comments," respectively.

There are more levels, though. I don't consider the second example as particularly useful unless the meaning of the code doesn't reveal itself with medium effort - I expect every reasonably experienced developer to decipher "what a piece of code does" by analyzing the code. If comments can help here, fine.

But there is also pragmatics (to stay with lingulingo). Take a statement such as i = 0. This obviously clears variable i, but frequently it's not only useful to know *why* the variable needs to be cleared (possibly because some other code makes assumptions about its value and only reuses the variable when it is clear) but also why it is cleared *here* - in a typical real life scenario, clearing it a few lines below or above may incur side effects, and frequently, the moving of a given statement from one place to the other from version 1.x to 1.y is an indicator that in 1.x the place was wrong and has been corrected in 1.y (which is why version control tools are frequently much more helpful in understanding code than comments).

Thus, I'd consider the following type of comment the most useful:

aReader->itsBadge = 0;   // don't clear the badge# in the calling function foo because bar also calls this function, so once we're done with the badge, we're always clean.
                                     // We must clear the member because otherwise the next card may be read without a badge but leave this leftover value which is a security breach.

Anything "below" this level of commenting to me generally is a reason to give the person who wrote the comment a swift kick in the butt. He/she not only distracts attention by making something (redundantly) explicit which is already part of the code but also does not help the reader with something that really needs to be remarked. I'd rather see no comment at all than a stupid comment. Thus, there is nothing wrong per se with weakly commented code as long as there are no pragmatics to be conveyed via comments.

Thanks for reading!