[racket] Offtopic: Favorite resources for mastering SML?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 4 11:31:18 EDT 2013

On Jul 4, 2013, at 11:13 AM, Phil Bewig wrote:

> Sorry, I meant this for the list, not just Grant.
>
> After I wrote it, I looked again at my bookshelf and found Elements of Functional Programming by Chris Reade, which reminds me in a small way of SICP. It belongs in the intermediate/advanced category.
>

> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Phil Bewig <pbewig at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeff Ullman's book Elements of ML Programming got me started on both SML and functional languages in general. I still remember the feeling I had about halfway through the book: this is the way programming should be done.

Strange. All i recall are fundamental mistakes in presenting ML. For example, let is presented as a temporary assignment to a variable. ARGH!

> For beginners, Ryan Stansifer's ML Primer and Ake Wikstrom's Functional Programming Using Standard ML are both quite basic. You can read Stansifer in an evening; there's not much there. Wikstrom is a good introduction to the language.

Agreed.

> For intermediate programmers, Programming with Standard ML by Colin Myers, Chris Clack and Ellen Poon is good. Rachel Harrison's book Abstract Data Types in Standard ML is poorly written, but some of the code is good.
>
> For advanced programmers, Larry Paulson's book ML for the Working Programmer is excellent, as you noted; I don't know what Matthias objects to.

I think Harper's perspective on ML is vastly superior to Paulson's who comes from a TP background and if I have a certain budget of reading minutes I go to the place(s) that matter.

> So is Chris Okasaki's book Purely Functional Data Structures.

Worth reading when you have programmed in ML for a year and want to understand how to get rid of assignments.