[racket] Deploying racket webserver on VPS host

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Mon Jul 1 13:36:28 EDT 2013

On Jun 30, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Jay McCarthy wrote:

> Can you be more specific?
>
> If you have a Web app that locally works... just put that file and
> Racket on your server and run it. If it listens on the right port,
> then you have a public Web app?

Like Jay, I would encourage you to be more specific.  I can suggest two things that might be tripping you up, though:

1) the racket web-server is a complete web-server, and you don't need to run apache2 as part of a racket web-server solution. You might choose to add apache to do load-balancing or congestion-management or <insert complex web-serving topic here>, but you don't need it, and I would strongly encourage you to get things working *without* apache first. Just to be totally clear about this, it's entirely possible to get a running web-server, visible to the whole world, without apache installed on your VPS at all.

2) Another common problem in deploying a racket web-service is that by default, the serve/servlet function is set to allow connections only from the local machine (127.0.0.1). In order to allow other machines to access your web-server, you'll want to set #:listen-ip to 'false', I believe.

I think there's a pretty good troubleshooting FAQ located in the web-server documentation, as well.

John Clements