[racket] Standard references in the docs

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 26 10:41:28 EST 2013

On Jan 26, 2013, at 7:33 AM, Leslie P. Polzer wrote:

> Matthias Felleisen wrote:
>
>> As for the language itself, we cannot distinguish which feature comes from where and,
>> honestly, I think it would be asking a bit much.  I am old enough, but I honestly don't
>> recall when with-input-from-file was added to some R^nRS: n = 3, 4, 5, or 6? Finally,
>> since Racket isn't Scheme or CL or Clojure, we are also reluctant to annotate for/fold
>> with "warning this is not a feature you will find in some implementation of CL or
>> Clojure or Scheme." I hope you understand
>
> I see these problems, but I disagree a bit. It can be really useful to look
> beyond the Racket implementation of a certain feature subset by reading
> the original spec, and you can judge the portability of your Racket program
> to other languages in the Scheme tradition better.
>
> As for finding specs, I think at least in the case of SRFIs it is easy.
>
> In case I get to this, would patches be appreciated?

[[ consulted with others ]]

We don't quite understand what exactly you mean. We believe you have a
"related work" section in mind. Perhaps it would be best to mock up a
few pages from the documentation so that we can see what exactly you have
in mind.

;; ---

Having said that, I wonder whether what you really want some kind of
"compatibility tool" that would help you check how "easy" it is to
port programs to CL, R6RS, R5RS or other related languages. In principle,
you can write R6RS code in DrRacket and Racket (using some incantation
that I have forgotten) and then the program is guaranteed to be portable
to that language.

Posted on the users mailing list.