[racket] values primitive blocks future execution

From: James Swaine (james.swaine at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 21 17:11:43 EST 2013

I'm looking into this now, but there are a few modifications you can make
to eliminate some blocking calls, namely:

sph-list is a list, and you are using for/fold to iterate over the elements
in the list (inside a future). This is problematic for a number of reasons;
instead, you could convert it to a vector (or just change your definition
to use a vector) and change `ray-cast' accordingly:

(define (ray-cast x y object-list)
  (let ([view-ray (screen-ray x y)])
    (define closest-int (int-res #f 10000.0 null-point))
    (for ([i (in-range 0 (vector-length object-list))])
      (define obj (vector-ref object-list i))
      (set! closest-int (get-closer-res closest-int
                                        (hit-sphere3D view-ray obj))))
    closest-int))

Also, there are two places where I think you may have forgotten to use
flonum primitives (on lines 99 and 100) -- just change `sqrt' to `flsqrt',
as you have done elsewhere in the code.

This doesn't eliminate all the blocking behavior, however -- I still see a
few `values' blocking calls, and allocation as well.  I'll spend some more
time looking through it and report back to you.

Cheers,
James