[racket] Contract for methods with optional arguments

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 31 11:16:08 EDT 2013

If I knew the answer I'd tell you, and hopefully someone else will.

Meanwhile, another way you could look at this: If it becomes too
difficult to write a contract (or documentation) for a function, it
might be good to revise the function.

For example, a function that takes an optional argument that, if
supplied, causes the function to return something as different as
number? instead of (vectorof number?). That feels like a function that
instead wants to be two, more-specialized functions. Probably;
admittedly depends on the context of what you're doing.

p.s. An old, classic example s the C stdlib `realloc( ptr, size )`
function. It reallocates ptr to be size bytes. But wait -- there's
more!  If ptr is NULL, then realloc will act like `malloc` and
allocate memory for you. And -- if you order before midnight tonight!
-- passing 0 for size will make it act like `free` and return void.
It's an entire API in one function! Three tools for the price of one!
Call now! :)

This example paraphrased by memory from what I think was "Writing
Solid Code" by Steve Maguire in the mid 90s. His point: `realloc` is
too flexible. Because it accepts anything, you can't write ASSERTs (or
a contract) to catch a misuse by a caller.  Of course the
implementation may be some private function like realloc, an
all-in-one tools that accepts anything. But the public realloc should
be a thin wrapper function, just like malloc and free are.