[racket] Worried about the new package manager not storing each version of a package

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 29 14:47:03 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 3:28 AM, Lawrence Woodman
<lwoodman at vlifesystems.com> wrote:
> On 28/08/13 18:21, Greg Hendershott wrote:
>> 2. Use Semantic Versioning (although Matthew IIRC it would need to
>> support versions like "2.0.0" and "0.0.1" that it currently rejects?).
> In your mention of semantic versioning (http://semver.org for anyone
> not familiar), you say about versions < 1.0  I'm currently using version
> v0.2.1 as the version of my xdgbasedir package without problems, so
> I don't think its an issue, unless it comes up when specifying a dependency.

My explanation from memory was wrong.

Instead: You can't (fully) use semantic versioning because the patch
number can't be 0. For example "0.1.0" isn't allowed.

http://bugs.racket-lang.org/query/?cmd=view&pr=13766

But I believe this is the kind of thing that can and will be fixed
before too long.

If I've followed the discussion/history correctly (a big "if", there's
been a lot of it) then I think it's important to remember that the
package manager is infrastructure with the primary _initial_ mission
of allowing Racket itself to be "package-ized". Although it can
already _also_ be used for third-party packages, it's not (yet)
attempting to be the ultimate third-party-package manager. It's not
trying to be "Racket's answer to gems", for instance. As a result
today it's both more flexible and more limited than you might ideally
want for a third-party-package manager. So while Matthew and the core
devs are still busy wrapping up the _initial_ main mission
(package-izing Racket, and the huge source re-org associated with it),
the rest of us may need to do, by convention, some things we might
prefer automated and/or enforced someday. That's my take on it,
anyway.

p.s. I wasted some brain cells trying to think of a spiffy name like
Gems or Eggs. All I've come up with so far are unfortunate names like
Balls (the one sense of racket) or Cons (the other sense of racket,
with bonus -- or penalty -- points for a Lispy pun).

Posted on the users mailing list.