[racket] Worried about the new package manager not storing each version of a package

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 28 11:33:28 EDT 2013

On Aug 28, 2013, at 1:51 AM, Lawrence Woodman wrote:

> I have used: Ruby, Tcl, Shared C Libraries under Linux, Various Linux Distros, etc.  All of these either
> started without distinct version control, or started with a single version package model and now all
> support multiple parallel versions of packages to overcome the dependency problems that arose.

As you may know, we started at the opposite end of the spectrum, PLaneT (version 1). While PLaneT worked well in some ways, it did not live up to the original goal of turning drracket into a package. Specifically we wanted to have an OS-like situation where a kernel can load every desired piece of library and package from PLaneT to configure itself. Perhaps we didn't try hard enough or perhaps we overlooked something in this direction, but in this essential way it didn't work.

This is our second start in the package direction and all I can try to say is that we tried to learn from PLaneT and from other package systems that we observed.

> I'm going to ... report back if I have any problems.

This is precisely what we would like. We wish to support the full range of users -- commercial, open source, extreme hobby, and the full range of educational efforts -- and we are hoping that people speak up when things go wrong.

Posted on the users mailing list.