[racket] Worried about the new package manager not storing each version of a package

From: Lawrence Woodman (lwoodman at vlifesystems.com)
Date: Tue Aug 27 15:46:49 EDT 2013

On 08/27/13 12:34, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:

> I think the right approach to running multiple Racket applications at
> once that all rely on packages that might conflict is to use multiple
> installations of Racket. Then you can install packages
> installation-wide and not have them conflict.
>
> This is, I think, quite similar to the way people deploy Ruby
> applications with something like rvm or Python applications with pyenv.

Sorry, when I said multiple Racket applications, I meant multiple
applications written in racket.  E.g  If I had a web scraper/site
monitor running constantly as well as a music manager.  They both use a
html package, but need different versions of this package. Having
multiple installations of Racket would certainly be an option, but what
a horrible one.

I can't say how Python would manage this, but in Ruby if the gems and
application weren't specific enough about which versions of the gems to
use for each app, I could at least specify the exact versions through
something like bundler and run the apps using 'bundle exec', which would
run it using the packages specified.

Lorry

Posted on the users mailing list.