[racket] Macro Assistance

From: J. Ian Johnson (ianj at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 27 09:47:47 EDT 2013

What you're trying to do is capture some amount of the invocation context of the macro, which is not what macros are meant for. You're better of making (bar e) a macro for (+ 3 e). Unfortunately bar is not part of the input, so you'll need to make it a syntax parameter, so it has well-behaved scope.

(require racket/stxparam)
(define-syntax-parameter bar (lambda (stx) (raise-syntax-error #f "Only for use in define-foo" stx)))
(define-syntax (define-foo stx)
  (syntax-case stx ()
    [(_ (name . params) . body)
     #'(define (name . params)
          (syntax-parameterize ([bar (syntax-rules () [(_ e) (+ 3 e)])])
             . body))]))

Unless you have separate macro invocations setting up some compile-time context (see Macros That Work Together, and Keeping it Clean with Syntax Parameters) for later use, you should focus on making the macro's meaning only depend on its input.

-Ian